Monday, August 30, 2010

Friskiness and going BIG

Much rejoicing was had once we decided to go BIG.

I was feeling frisky come Saturday morning, something I haven't been feeling a whole lot this summer but when it happens I go with it. We headed out for a mountain ride with Jim and Randy, the need to enjoy the mountains before summer and fall fade away is tangible. I've already noticed some of the aspens and cottonwoods turning yellow, this seems early to me and I wonder if it's an omen for an early winter, one can only wonder.
So in my frisky state I suggested we turn our longish ride into a super longish ride by adding in a lot more climbing for a lot more kick ass descending, ultimately totaling between 25 and 30 miles in about 5 hours or so. Everyone kinda looked at me sheepishly but in the end we all agreed and set out out on our mega ride (mega ride being relative of course). And strangely as the day and pedal strokes wore on the stronger I felt, it was great and unexpected, this doesn't happen that often so go with it and I did pedaling past the boys with a "coming thru"! What was it that made me feel so physically and mentally good, a rush of good hormones, good nutrition, the addition of running to my schedule as "cross training", the alignment of stars in the sky, who knows I just relished it and enjoyed it and didn't think about it too much. As everyone else faded I remained strong and the end of the trail felt like it came a bit too soon. This also meant that I got to drive home as Craig got to nurse his exhaustion with a Negra. And the best thing of all is we didn't see another person the whole ride, yes, that is possible still in the mountains along the front range.
I even entertained another ride on Sunday, taking away my one rest day (the endorphins were thinking here). However our old dog Josy had an epic night of getting up and down and keeping us awake off and on all night, it was brutal and I don't do well with disrupted sleep. So when Sunday dawned my endorphins had disappeared and in it's place my more typical, reasonable mind suggested I hang out and get some things done around the house and enjoy a day of rest and so that's what I did. I enjoyed my mind soothing at home chores, that are truly soothing to me. I did some gardening, smiled at the success of my ripe tomatoes which I enjoyed on my homemade pizza that night. I watched the Peregrine Falcon thru binoculars that we have nesting near the house sore through the sky while screeching out it's presence, I enjoyed laying on the couch feeling the cool late summer breeze wash over my arms and legs as the humming birds frantically filled up at the feeders wondering when they will finally head south for another year. And it was all good.

Trail Monkey was rescued and brought along for some good mojo.

Craig feeling some friskiness and perhaps a little captain too...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I needed that report! Don't spank me, but I haven't been on my MTB since CB. IT's been too hot here and the leaves are not changing. Just brown as the heat of our summer goes. How about 109 last week. Which is freakishly hot. I've been road biking of course, and some new rubber came via UPS today. I'm stoked. Small pleasures. 320 tpi. Roadie tires. WE are off to Sausalito on Thursday. Road bikes in tow for Sonoma. I can not wait to go back to CO. It's under my skin now. Makes me love MTB and more. Enjoy!

Carey said...

Hey Kat!
Good luck in Sausalito! The MTB will be there when you’re ready to get back on it.
We’re moving towards fall, the heat you’re having would kill me, that’s too hot.
Come back to visit Colorado and we’ll ride.

Unknown said...

We'll be back for sure! Show or not. I'm spoiled now. Love the trails there, and there are so many to explore. We have a hawk couple nesting in our front yard. We feel like part of the family, as they are very vocal and present with their comings and goings. I think they have a chick up there. They had one in the spring and we were away for the weekend and it fell from it's nest and died. I was so sad as it was a little downy thing with huge talons. Natures way. Let' hope for the next generation. xoxox

Unknown said...

We'll be back for sure! Show or not. I'm spoiled now. Love the trails there, and there are so many to explore. We have a hawk couple nesting in our front yard. We feel like part of the family, as they are very vocal and present with their comings and goings. I think they have a chick up there. They had one in the spring and we were away for the weekend and it fell from it's nest and died. I was so sad as it was a little downy thing with huge talons. Natures way. Let' hope for the next generation. xoxox

Susan said...

Hi Carey,
Saw that you and Craig went riding in CB again this year and looks like you had a blast (how could you not)! Joachim and I are hoping to make it back out to CO to ride next summer. It really is the best singletrack. We went to Austria and the biking there was so over hyped and dismal. Anyway, I was thinking about you guys after hearing about the Boulder fire. Hope that your house survived and that you guys are okay.
Susan

Carey said...

Hi Susan.
Thought of you two while riding in CB this August.
Glad to hear you're still out there doing well. If you come to Colorado let's ride!
We're fine..last week was crazy but we made it out intact.
Thanks for writing and staying in touch!
Be well!